#24 Will Make You Re-Think Your Vacation Plans!
1. Pop-Kultur is a new festival for Berlin.
3. Everything will be taking place from August 26 to 28 at Berghain.
4. Yes, THAT Berghain. Pop-Kultur will be utilizing every room of this special location – including Panorama Bar, Halle am Berghain, Garderobe and Kantine.
5. Pop-Kultur shines a light on Berlin’s busy scene while meeting standards of internationality and diversity one can expect to experience in 2k15.
6. The festival advocates interdisciplinary exchange, including contemporary scientific discourse on music, society, and urban development. Its programme comprises live concerts, performances, talks, and readings.
7. Visitors can experience various international and German premieres. It began in Berlin! – is our motto for good reason. Over the course of three days, the festival turns into a one big productive laboratory for the most ambitious of ideas.
8. So… who’s coming? Bianca Casady of CocoRosie is. As Bianca Casady & the C.i.A. (US/FR), together with internationally acclaimed dancer Biño Sauitzvy, she will be presenting her newest musical performance and her upcoming solo debut album to a German stage for the first time.
9. Sophie Hunger (CH) will play an exclusive gig with a number of illustrious guests. The (super)moon is just the base camp for her!
10. Robbie Williams won’t be joining us.
11. But Matthew Herbert (UK) will. Living up his reputation as a man of many, many talents the British musician and producer will not only be presenting his newest full-length “The Shakes” for the first time live in Germany with his band, but will also participate in a talk and and conduct a workshop.
12. Icelandic duo Kiasmos (IS) weave their epic techno tapestries into the Berghain air. This electronic project is the newest brainchild of BAFTA-winning Ólafur Arnalds and Blood Group’s Janus Ramussen.
13. The “Ärger mit der Unsterblichkeit” (The trouble with immortality): the book written by Sven Regener and German underground legend Andreas Dorau (DE) about the latter’s life will be read out by the duo for the first time in Berlin.
14. Bernard Sumner (UK) will be also reciting from his new autobiography, while his New Order compatriots – Gillian Gilbert and Stephen Morris – will appear in a joint talk with Mute founder Daniel Miller (UK) and musician/composer Owen Pallett (CA). This will be held in the spectacular environment of the former Schlackehalle, where numerous tons of coal were melted down to slag every day, supplying East Berlin with power.
19. You’ll find the complete festival line-up with more than 60 acts on this website by Wednesday, April 22nd.
20. Pop-Kultur is all about making decisions.
21. The schedule is divided into single modules, each including up to four different gigs at the same venue. Tickets can only be bought for this slots.
22. Hence, there will be now day or festival passes, but you will still be able to create your own personal pass by combining the different modules.
23. Single tickets are between 5 and 25 EUR plus advanced booking fees.
24. Pop-Kultur presale opens in two weeks, on Wednesday, April 29 via this website.
25. We did not invite Beautycrush, nor Stampylonghead. Sorry
26. Instead, we do invite young talents of all disciplines to join our workshop programme Pop-Kultur Nachwuchs.
27. At the studios of Bühnenservice der Stiftung Oper Berlin (which is next to Berghain) we will pair you up with professional musicians, economical and political leaders and decision-makers out of the music industry. You can expect both inspiring and productive talks right in the middle where the creative production of the city’s theatre and opera stages take place.
28. You will be able to apply for participation in Pop-Kultur Nachwuchs very soon.
29. Pop-Kultur can be seen as more than just a typical music festival. It also functions as a new and open space for Berlin, where the local music and art scene melds with its international peers and representatives of politics and economy.
30. But that doesn’t mean that there will be an “accreditation for professionals” after all! More art for everyone, less snacks!
31. Mingling spots to meet and converse can be found all over the festival area: on the lower level of the Halle am Berghain, in the beer garden, and also –by invitation– at the Diskogarten.
33. Pop-Kultur is brought to you by Musicboard Berlin GmbH.
33 ⅓. Pop-Kultur takes pop culture very serious. Most of the time, at least…